Dry Dock No 4

This dock was built as a replica of Dry Dock No 5 (formerly the Great Stone Dock) and was lengthened in 1859, at which time the entrance was widened to accommodate the wheels of paddle steamers. The Trust is currently negotiating with MOD Defence Estates to take over ownership of this dock, along with the Block Mills and Dry Dock No 5.

Building Stats


1803 (year of completion)

Property Status

Scheduled Monument & Listed Grade 1

Current Use

In MOD ownership but not in operational use

Possible Future Use

Display of additional historic ships/dry docking facilities in connection with the proposed Block Mills skills centre

Supported by:

Supported by Regional Growth Fund