Boathouse 7

Built as a mast house, but later used for the construction, repair and storage of small boats.  Along with Boathouse 5, it is a good example of the timber-framed buildings once common in Naval dockyards.  Both are constructed partly over the Mast Pond on cast iron supports.  The building now houses the main Historic Dockyard restaurant, the Dockyard Apprentice Exhibition and Nauticalia, a maritime-themed gift shop.
 
The restoration and conversion won two awards:  the Portsmouth Society’s Best Restoration 1995 and Portsmouth City Council Planning Committee’s Good Planning & Conservation Award 1995.

 

Building Stats

Constructed

1807

Property Status

Listed Grade 2

Current Use

Restaurant, exhibition and shop

Restored & converted by PNBPT
1993-1994
Capital Cost
£2.6m
Architect
Portsmouth City Council Design Services
Contractor
Heaton Waring Ltd
 

Supported by:

Supported by Regional Growth Fund