Boathouse 6

One of the first examples of a building constructed with an internal metal frame with massive iron girders and beams to support boat storage on the upper floors. The eastern end of the building was badly damaged at first and second floor level during World War 2.  A new 275 seat auditorium was inserted when the building was repaired and converted for public use by the Trust in 1999 as the Action Stations interactive exhibition.  The auditorium is used by No 6 Cinema as a public art house cinema throughout the year.

The restoration was over seen by Architects McCormac Jamieson Prichard who added an external stair tower and new roof, the auditorium along with sympathetic repair of the original building and honest replacement of building fabric lost in the bombing.

The refurbishment and conversion won a Civic Trust Award in 2003.

Building Stats

Constructed

1845

Property Status

Listed Grade 2*

Current Use

Action Stations exhibition (ground and first floors); offices (second floor)

Architect
Captain James Beatson, Royal Engineers
Restored & converted by PNBPT
1998-2001
Capital Cost
£16.4m
Architect
MacCormac Jamieson Prichard
Contractor
HBG Special Projects Ltd

Supported by:

Supported by Regional Growth Fund