Boathouse 4

Designed by Naval architects for the construction of small naval vessels, the building was originally intended to extend as far as Victory Gate to the south but construction was halted at the outbreak of World War 2. The temporary corrugated iron clad wall of 1940 to the southern elevation remains today. Boathouse 4 houses a restaurant, public facilities, exhibition and display space, workshops, offices and class rooms and is the home of the International Boatbuilding Training College (IBTC) Portsmouth which offers vocational courses in traditional boatbuilding. The building was renovated and redeveloped in 2010 for these mixed uses. It is a great asset and attraction in the Dockyard, due particularly to the extensive boat building and restoration work progressing in it, as per its original design purpose.  It is the only building in the Trust's estate with direct access to the harbour, with its own internal launching canal and the slipway to the southern side.

Building Stats

Constructed

1939-1940

Property Status

Within Conservation Area 22

Current Use

Workshops, offices and storage

Please Click Here to learn more about our exciting Boathouse 4 project.

Supported by:

Supported by Regional Growth Fund