Property Portfolio

   A Magazine, or Grand Magazine
     
Designed by Captain Archer, Commanding Royal Engineer of the Portsmouth District, for the storage of gunpowder which was delivered to Priddy’s Hard from Waltham Abbey, and then transported via the Camber Dock to Portsmouth Royal Dockyard.  In 1805 it would have been used to supply the Trafalgar Fleet which included Admiral Lord Nelson’s flagship, HMS Victory.  A particularly well preserved, magnificent example of a late C18 classic British magazine type, it was later linked with a series of related buildings, including the Rolling Way which connected directly with the waterside at the Camber Dock. From c1880, with the completion of E Magazine, it was used for storing small arms ammunition and filled rockets and shells
 
Constructed
1770-1776
Status
Listed Grade 1
Present Use
Explosion Museum galleries

 

News & Events
Useful Links
Job Vacancies
Holiday Accommodation
Interactive Property Map for Historic Dockyard Portsmouth Interactive Property Map for Priddy's Hard Gosport
Download a pdf of the 20 year review