Property Portfolio

   Shell Store
     
Construction related to the great expansion in the requirements of the British Navy for shells, a type of ordnance which had a radical effect on the development of Naval ships and fortifications.  After an explosion at the Shell Filling Room in 1883 it was decided to move this activity outside the historic fortified boundaries of Priddy's Hard, and to distribute the activity among several small buildings. This store continued to play a key role in the filling system as it developed on this site in the period up to the Dreadnought era of the early 1900s
 
Constructed
1879, enlarged 1892
Status
Listed Grade 2
Present Use
Vacant

 

News & Events
Useful Links
Job Vacancies
Holiday Accommodation
Interactive Property Map for Historic Dockyard Portsmouth Interactive Property Map for Priddy's Hard Gosport
Download a pdf of the 20 year review