The second of three large Georgian storehouses to be built during the Dockyard expansion from 1760 and previously known as Middle Store. Stores were taken in from the eastern side facing the road and taken out on the western side facing the Camber dock, where they were loaded onto small boats for onward transmission to ships in harbour. During World War 2 an incendiary bomb destroyed the original clock tower and damaged the southern part of the building.
The clock tower was replaced by the Trust in 1992 as part of complete re-roofing works and the original weathervane was found and reinstated. The project was formally inaugurated by HRH The Prince of Wales in August 1992 and received two awards: Europa Nostra 1993 and the Portsmouth Society’s Best Restoration of the Year 1993.
1776 by Templar & Parlby
Listed Grade 1
Royal Naval Museum galleries
Restoration of clock tower by PNBPT
Portsmouth City Council Department of Architecture & Civic Design
Watts & Partners
John Lay & Co (Portsmouth) Ltd
Royal Naval Museum 20th Century gallery