Property Portfolio

   The Mast Pond
     

The Mast Pond was constructed by Dutch prisoners of war who were paid one-and-a-half pennies a day, although following complaints by unemployed townspeople the Dutch were dispatched to Portchester Castle and local labour hired in their place. 

The Pond is linked to Portsmouth Harbour by a tunnel which runs from its western end underneath Main Road and Boathouse 4.  It was used to store timbers to prevent them from seasoning unevenly or cracking before they were made into masts.  Tidal flow was partly controlled by a drop-gate at the western end of the tunnel.

The new hydraulic lock gates installed by the Trust in 2000 now maintain a minimum level of water in the Mast Pond and prevent Boathouse 6 flooding at spring tides.

 
Constructed
1665
Status
Scheduled Monument SM397 and Listed Grade 1
Present Use
Display of small historic boats
New tunnel lock gates installed by PNBPT
2000
Capital Cost
350,000
Designer
Posford Duvivier (now Royal Haskoning)
Designer
Tilbury Douglas (now Interserve)
 

 

News & Events
Useful Links
Job Vacancies
Holiday Accommodation
Interactive Property Map for Historic Dockyard Portsmouth Interactive Property Map for Priddy's Hard Gosport
Download a pdf of the 20 year review