Property Portfolio

   The Old Pay Office (Building 1/11)
     
The orginal Pay Office was extended in 1808 when a fire-proof building with vaulted ceiling was added - probably the earliest example of such a building in a Naval dockyard. It contained a strong room and safe. Charles Dickens's father, John Dickens, worked here as a clerk before moving with his family to London in 1815.
 
Constructed
c.1754
Status
Listed Grade 2
Present Use
Mary Rose Trust Office and Store
Refurbished by PNBPT
1986
Capital Cost
50,000
Architect
Robert J Porter & Partners
Contractor
PMC Ltd
 
 

 

News & Events
Useful Links
Job Vacancies
Holiday Accommodation
Interactive Property Map for Historic Dockyard Portsmouth Interactive Property Map for Priddy's Hard Gosport
Download a pdf of the 20 year review